Visa and entry procedure for immigrants from third countries subject to visa obligation

Residence permit

You are a non-EU citizen planning to set up a commercial / freelancing activity in Munich and are going to apply for a visa for self-employment? Depending on whether you are going to start a business or working as a freelancer, different conditions apply. To learn more about requirements and procedures please see At a glance: Visa for self-employment (PDF, 432 KB). To find out whether you require a visa to enter Germany, see Who needs a visa? General information can be obtained from the German diplomatic mission in your country or if you are already residing in Munich, from the local Foreigners Office (Ausländerbehörde).

Statement on self-employment of third country nationals in accordance with Section 21 of the German Residence Act (AufenthG)

Under the German Residence Act, competent bodies from the region where a business is due to be set up are involved in the assessment of general requirements performed by the Foreigners Office (Ausländerbehörde). In Munich the Chamber of Commerce and Industry (IHK) for Munich and Upper Bavaria performs this task with respect to businesses. The Institute for Liberal Professions (IFB) in Nuremberg usually performs the task with respect to crafts and trades. After general suitability has been assessed, the Foreigners Office asks the IHK or the IFB to provide a statement on the planned business activity. The statement is not binding, but it helps the Foreigners Office to make its final decision on whether or not to grant a residence permit.

Granting of visas and residence permits

Please note that Munich’s Business Startup Office cannot process or support visa applications. Germany’s diplomatic mission in your country or, if you already live in Munich, the local Foreigners Office (Ausländerbehörde), are exclusively responsible for this task – please contact these authorities if you have further questions.