Specific Issues

We offer additional information on selected topics, giving you an overview of legal and tax issues as well as useful contacts for more detailed information.

CCO Pixabay | Pexels

International topics

When it comes to doing business internationally, you need to check what tax and legal regulations apply. There are many factors to consider if your business operates beyond German borders.

Further information
Crowdfunding | Stadt München

Location and premises

Check legal prerequisites and building regulations for commercial use of premises in Munich to find an adequate location for your business. Learn about two important service points at the City’s Department of Urban Planning and Building Regulations.

Further information
Image: ibrandify | freepik.com

Public tenders and contracts

Procurement law determines how the Federal Government, federal states, and regions must proceed when purchasing goods and services and awarding concessions.  How can companies find the relevant information on tenders?  How can you make myself known to public contracting authorities in Munich and Bavaria? Where can you get advice?

Further information
CCO Pixabay | Pexels

Residence permit

Citizens of non-EU or EFTA states must check whether their residence status or permit allows them to be self-employed or whether they need to apply for an additional permit at the Foreigners Office.

Further information
Image: geralt | Pixabay

Opening a branch office in Munich

This page provides a quick overview to foreign companies who are interested in doing business in Munich. This can be achieved by a number of ways. From finding business partners to setting up an office in Munich.

Further information
Bild von Junior Ferreira | Unplash

Sideline or part-time start-up

Self-employment while already employed, studying, caring for a family, retired or unemployed? A sideline business  is subject to the same rules as a full-time start-up. There are particular issues to consider regarding employment law, social security, and tax requirements.

Further information


Freelancing in Munich: Freiberufler or Gewerbe?

The terms “Freiberufler“, “freelancer” and “self-employed” are often confused and used as synonyms.

Please note: Self-employed people in Germany are

  • either business people [Gewerbetreibende] with an activity that is classified as a trade or a business [Gewerbe]
  • or members of the liberal professions [Freiberufler] with an activity that is classified as a liberal profession [Freier Beruf]

Different rules apply to these two categories.

It is very important that you distinguish between these two types of new businesses and find out which one is right for you.  Read on here

Start-ups from abroad – How to open a branch office in Munich
  • Do you have a start-up and are you planning to settle in Munich?
  • Do you live abroad and are planning to open a business in Munich?

Finding the right contact person

Digital information service

The Point of Single Contact (PSC) can support foreign companies planning to set up a branch office in Munich by providing the relevant basic information such as necessary procedures and formalities required for taking up and performing your planned services, contact details of the competent authorities as well as supportive associations and institutions. Visit the PSC website
Telephone +49 89 233-22080 | E-Mail: psc@muenchen.de

CCI – Chamber of Commerce and Industry for Munich and Upper Bavaria (IHK für München und Oberbayern)

Invest in Bavaria – the Business Promotion Agency of the State of Bavaria

Invest in Bavaria supports companies from Germany and abroad and from a wide range of sectors. From location search to getting access to relevant partners and networks for your business. Their cross cultural teams provide you with all the important information, valuable contacts and customized support for your expansion project. The “Ois Easy” – a programme for start-ups from abroad is specifically designed for start-ups from abroad who want to open a new branch or a new office in Germany and establish themselves on the German market in the long term. Visit the website and find your contact person here.

Germany Trade and Invest – Investment Guide to Germany

Germany Trade & Invest (GTAI) is the economic development agency of the Federal Republic of Germany. With more than 50 offices in Germany and abroad, and its network of partners throughout the world, GTAI supports German companies setting up in foreign markets, promotes Germany as a business location and assists foreign companies setting up in Germany. For initial information on entry regulations, company set up, corporation taxation, employees and social security and incentive programs  please see the GTAI “Investment Guide to Germany”.

Need help to find a tax adviser or lawyer?

We have listed several options to help you with your search.

Do you you own a valid residence permit for the purpose of self-employed activity in Germany?

More information on the residence permit