Start-ups from abroad – How to open a branch office in Munich

  • Do you have a start-up and are you planning to settle in Munich?
  • Do you live abroad and are planning to open a business in Munich?

Finding the right contact person

Digital information service

The Point of Single Contact (PSC) can support foreign companies planning to set up a branch office in Munich by providing the relevant basic information such as necessary procedures and formalities required for taking up and performing your planned services, contact details of the competent authorities as well as supportive associations and institutions. Visit the PSC website
Telephone +49 89 233-22080 | E-Mail:

CCI – Chamber of Commerce and Industry for Munich and Upper Bavaria (IHK für München und Oberbayern)

Invest in Bavaria – the Business Promotion Agency of the State of Bavaria

Invest in Bavaria supports companies from Germany and abroad and from a wide range of sectors. From location search to getting access to relevant partners and networks for your business. Their cross cultural teams provide you with all the important information, valuable contacts and customized support for your expansion project. The “Ois Easy” – a programme for start-ups from abroad is specifically designed for start-ups from abroad who want to open a new branch or a new office in Germany and establish themselves on the German market in the long term. Visit the website and find your contact person here.

Germany Trade and Invest – Investment Guide to Germany

Germany Trade & Invest (GTAI) is the economic development agency of the Federal Republic of Germany. With more than 50 offices in Germany and abroad, and its network of partners throughout the world, GTAI supports German companies setting up in foreign markets, promotes Germany as a business location and assists foreign companies setting up in Germany. For initial information on entry regulations, company set up, corporation taxation, employees and social security and incentive programs  please see the GTAI “Investment Guide to Germany”.

Need help to find a tax adviser or lawyer?

We have listed several options to help you with your search.

Do you you own a valid residence permit for the purpose of self-employed activity in Germany?

More information on the residence permit